Functional neurosurgery comprises the rehabilitation of neurological conditions and the reestablishment of functions. Functional neurosurgery is a procedure used to handle central nervous system disorders. Functional neurosurgery has proved to be a boon in treating debilitating movement disorders such as Dystonia, Parkinson’s disease, and essential tremors.
Dr. Gurneet Singh Sawhney treats neurological disorders with various procedures, including highly focused neuromodulation and deep brain stimulation (DBS), making him one of the top neurosurgeons in Mumbai. This represents one of the most speedily growing specializations in the realm of functional neurosurgery and offers great hope for patients with formerly inoperable neurological conditions.
Functional Neurosurgeon Dr. Gurneet Sawhney currently treats:
- Movement disorders comprising Parkinson’s, Tremor, Dystonia, Tourette’s, and Hemifacial spasm.
- Spasticity of cerebral origin (MS and spinal cord injury).
- Neuropsychiatric disorders, comprising obsessive-compulsive disorder and depression.
- Prolonged pain from neuropathic injuries or diseases, in addition to malignant causes.
- Trigeminal neuralgia, postherpetic neuralgia, and other nerve injuries.
What Is Functional Neurosurgery?
As mentioned above, functional neurosurgery mainly deals with procedures that modulate the nervous system’s functioning, from the brain to peripheral nerves in the arm or leg.
It is done through various techniques, such as infusing medication directly into the spinal fluid, removing an area of the brain causing seizures, or using an electrical stimulator on the brain or spinal cord to improve chronic pain and Parkinson’s disease symptoms.
Functional neurosurgery shows a significant improvement in patients’ quality of life. It uses the brain’s own power to recover and restore normal functioning.
Like, implantation of electrodes for the brain and spinal cord is a one-time procedure. First, Dr. Sawhney identifies the areas where he would have maximum benefit and implant electrodes. Then, he connects these electrodes to a battery pack that is underneath the skin. These battery packs are programmed remotely, and patients’ symptoms and side effects are optimized for maximum benefit.
Before recommending or performing functional neurosurgery, Dr. Sawhney, a seasoned neurosurgeon in Mumbai, and his team perform a comprehensive diagnosis and assessment of the patient’s condition.
Assessment and Diagnosis
Every patient is evaluated thoroughly by a multidisciplinary team that specializes in a particular disorder. Under Dr. Gurneet Singh Sawhney, a skilled neurosurgeon in Mumbai, a comprehensive assessment is done utilizing various diagnostic tests.
These diagnostic tests include:
- CT scan
- MRI scan
- Functional imaging with fMRI, PET, and SPECT
Advanced Functional Neurosurgical Treatments
Neuromodulation allows a neurosurgeon to change or modify nerve activity in a problematic area using electricity or pharmacological medications. Neuromodulation allows for precise targeting and is reasonably safe when treating brain, spinal cord, and peripheral nervous system areas critical to a patient’s normal functioning.
Deep Brain Stimulation
Deep Brain Stimulation can efficiently treat epilepsy, essential tremors, Parkinson’s disease, dystonia, and obsessive-compulsive disorders. It is a process in which electrodes are placed in specific brain areas, and electrical impulses are generated to control the brain for aberrant behaviour. These electrodes help in the correction of chemical imbalances that cause anomalies. The programmable generator is positioned beneath the skin at the upper chest.
Stereotactic neurosurgery helps in the identification of places in the brain’s deepest regions. A neurosurgeon uses a specific three-dimensional coordinate system and CT scans or MRIs to find parts of the brain deep within the brain for treatment, like deep-seated brain tumours. The patient is awake and responsive during stereotactic procedures, which prevents unfavourable effects on the brain during the process. This method helps treat epilepsy, deep-seated brain tumours, and delivers medicine and radiation to the brain’s innermost regions.
Benefits of Functional Neurosurgery
- Functional neurosurgery has become a widely used therapeutic option for patients with functional neurological disorders.
- Because of developments in surgical and neuroimaging processes, accuracy in functional neurosurgery has improved significantly.
- The introduction of more sophisticated devices helps enhance the treatment by directing electricity within the brain in specific directions to minimize the unwanted spread of current and improve outcomes.
- The neurosurgeon can work more accurately, focusing on the areas that require treatment while avoiding vital parts or those that do not need repair.
- Patients who undergo functional neurosurgery can expect a speedy recovery. After surgery, patients need a short hospital stay.
- Further, it brings more relief to patients suffering from debilitating pain. Successful functional neurosurgery provides significant pain relief and minimizes patients’ dependence on painkillers.
Dr. Sawhney and his medical team understand the importance of precise and timely diagnosis, persistent monitoring, complication management, and patient compliance, and they pay special attention to these aspects. Dr. Sawhney is a renowned neurosurgeon in India, who believes in achieving the best possible outcome by performing the most appropriate functional neurosurgery.