Dyskinesia is an uncontrolled movement. It can arise due to long-term levodopa use and chronic Parkinson's disease. This problem does not affect everyone, and the severity of dyskinesia varies. New and upcoming treatments are meant to prevent dyskinesia.
Dr. Gurneet Singh Sawhney is one of the leading neurosurgeon in India. He focuses on providing advanced and most-effective dyskinesia treatment in Mumbai, India. Hence, he is recognized as one of the top dyskinesia specialist in Mumbai.
Furthermore, Dr. Gurneet Singh Sawhney has extensive experience in the field. He can treat any neurological condition, whether minor or complex. Moreover, he has significant expertise executing advanced neurosurgeries such as DBS surgery.
Continue reading this article to know about dyskinesia, its causes, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, and more.
An Overview of Dyskinesia
Dyskinesia is an uncontrollable involuntary movement. It can affect only one part of your body, such as your head or an arm, or entire body. Depending on the type, dyskinesia can range from mild to severe and painful, causing difficulties with regular tasks. It can also vary in terms of frequency and time of day it occurs.
Now, let’s know,
Causes of Dyskinesia
- Dyskinesias are frequently linked to drugs, subsequent diseases, or brain anatomical alterations.
- Dyskinesias can occur without a specific cause or established risk factor.
- The most prevalent cause of dyskinesia is long-term usage of the drug levodopa.
- Because of its effectiveness, levodopa is the chosen medicine for the treatment of Parkinson's disease.
Signs & Symptoms of Dyskinesia
The symptoms of dyskinesia differ from person to person and also depend on the type of dyskinesia. Symptoms of dyskinesia can be severe, with many portions of the body moving uncontrollably.
Some of the symptoms of dyskinesia might look like:
- the swaying of the body
- bobbing of the head
Now, let’s discuss,
Diagnosis and Treatment of Dyskinesia
When determining the correct diagnosis, it will be critical to take note of the afflicted motions and body locations. An aberrant involuntary movement scale may be used to assess the severity of the illness.
The various unusual movements that distinguish the different kinds of dyskinesia will almost always necessitate the careful observation and clinical evaluation of a neurologist or movement disorders specialist.
If you have bothersome dyskinesia, talk to our dyskinesia specialist in Mumbai, Dr. Gurneet Sawhney, about the following treatment options:
1. Changes in Medication
Controlling the dose and timing of levodopa administration may help regulate dopamine levels and alleviate symptoms of levodopa-induced dyskinesia. Various types of medicine, such as extended-release Rytary or Duopa gel-infusion, may also be beneficial. Gocovri, an extended-release version of amantadine, may also help manage glutamate levels in the brain and alleviate symptoms.
2. Deep brain stimulation (DBS) Surgery
It is a surgical method that involves stimulating the brain's electrical activity. This isn't something that everyone can do. However, DBS may be explored for those who have had Parkinson's disease for at least four years, are taking levodopa, and have dyskinesia or significant "off" time - periods when the medicine isn't functioning as effectively as it should and symptoms reappear.
3. Other Treatments
Some doctors use Botox injections or botulinum toxin to treat dyskinesias that affect the face, neck, and limb regions.
Several more medicines for the treatment of dyskinesias are in clinical trials. Melatonin and oestrogen, which alter dopamine-controlled behaviour and protect against cell damage from long-term antipsychotic medication usage, are potential therapies for tardive dyskinesia.
Why Choose Dr. Gurneet Singh Sawhney for Dyskinesia Treatment in Mumbai, India?
- Dr. Gurneet Singh Sawhney is a remarkably competent neurosurgeon who excels in a wide range of neurosurgical procedures.
- He is recognized as one of the most reputable neurosurgeons in Mumbai due to his consistent ability to treat debilitating neurological diseases effectively.
- Due to his devotion, determination, and hard work, Dr. Gurneet Singh Sawhney has completed more than 14 years of practice in various revolutionary neurosurgeries.
- The friendly and engaging approach of Dr. Sawhney makes him very accessible to his patients.
If you are looking for a dyskinesia specialist in Mumbai, plan a consultation with Dr. Gurneet Sawhney. He can provide you with the most effective dyskinesia treatment in Mumbai.