We all have seen balloons at birthday parties and at different functions.
But have you seen a balloon in the brain?
A brain aneurysm is like a balloon in a blood vessel in the brain. But unlike the balloon seen in birthday parties that makes chocolates, pencils, and gifts fall when it bursts, a brain aneurysm is a balloon that causes bleeding in the brain and causes severe damage when it bursts.
Yes, unlike the balloon at a birthday party that floods the place with chocolates when it bursts, the balloon in the brain causes flooding of blood all over the brain which is damaging and harmful.
Unlike, the party balloons which are a symbol of joy and spread joy, the balloon in the brain-brain aneurysm is a symbol of pain and causes difficulties.
When party balloons burst, it is a time of joy as chocolates and small gifts fall from the balloon, but when the balloon in the brain bursts, it is a very painful time. It causes a lot of damage. A ruptured brain aneurysm causes bleeding in the brain and can lead to devasting conditions like stroke. Immediate treatment is needed in such cases from the best neurosurgeon in Mumbai, India.
This article talks about the causes, symptoms, diagnoses of a brain aneurysm. It also discusses the treatment options available in India to treat a brain aneurysm.
What are the symptoms of a brain aneurysm?
A brain aneurysm can be ruptured as well as unruptured.
The symptoms of a ruptured brain aneurysm are as follows-
- Severe headache
- Stiffness experienced in the neck
- Vision problems
- Feeling confused
If you notice any of the above symptoms, it is advisable to seek help from a neurologist in India. The symptoms of an unruptured brain aneurysm are as follows-
- Pain in the eye
- Vision problems
- A dilated pupil
In some cases, treatment for an unruptured brain aneurysm is required from a neurologist in India.
What are the causes of a brain aneurysm?
Brain aneurysms form due to weak and thin artery walls. The risk factors that lead to brain aneurysm are as follows-
- People of higher age are more prone to develop a brain aneurysm
- Smoking can increase the risk of developing a brain aneurysm
- People with high blood pressure are at a higher risk of developing a brain aneurysm
- Drugs and alcohol consumption also lead to the development of brain aneurysm
- If a brain aneurysm runs in your family, you too are likely to develop a brain aneurysm
Tissue disorders, polycystic kidney disease, and abnormal narrow aorta (blood vessel) can also increase the risk of developing a brain aneurysm.
How to diagnose a brain aneurysm?
A brain aneurysm can be diagnosed by taking the following tests-
- CT Scan: A CT scan, which is a type of specialized X-ray, is usually the first test conducted to see if you have a brain hemorrhage. The test generates two-dimensional “slices” of the brain.
- Cerebrospinal fluid test: If you have symptoms of a ruptured aneurysm, your doctor in India will recommend a cerebrospinal fluid test. When an accurate diagnosis cannot be made with a CT scan, this procedure is used.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI): An MRI creates detailed images of the brain using a magnetic field and radio waves, either in 2-D slices or 3-D images. In India, doctors recommend it to identify a brain aneurysm.
How to treat a brain aneurysm?
A burst brain aneurysm can be treated in one of two ways.
- Surgical clipping: Surgical clipping is an aneurysm closure treatment. To access the aneurysm, the neurosurgeon in India removes a portion of your skull and locates the blood supply that feeds the aneurysm. Then he or she inserts a small metal clip around the aneurysm’s neck to block blood flow.
- Endovascular coiling: Compared to surgical clipping, endovascular coiling is a less intrusive treatment. The surgeon threads a hollow plastic tube (catheter) through your body to the aneurysm by inserting it into an artery, generally in your groin.
He or she then inserts a soft platinum wire through the catheter and into the aneurysm using a guidewire. Inside the aneurysm, the wire coils up, disrupting blood flow and effectively sealing the aneurysm from the artery.
Your neurologist in India might also suggest certain pain relievers and medications such as calcium channel blockers to reduce the symptoms of a brain aneurysm. Shunt surgery also helps to minimize the symptoms of a brain aneurysm.
An unruptured brain aneurysm can be managed by making the following lifestyle changes:
- Avoid smoking
- Exercise regularly
- Eat healthy
- Avoid taking drugs
- Avoid the risk factors that can increase your blood pressure
This article discussed what is brain aneurysms and their causes and symptoms. It also discussed the treatment options available in India to treat a brain aneurysm. A brain aneurysm especially a ruptured brain aneurysm can be very harmful and life-threatening.
So, it is advisable to seek immediate treatment from the best neurosurgeon in India to treat brain aneurysms and avoid complications.