A brain stroke is a disorder that develops when blood flow to the brain is blocked. The patient's brain cells begin to die in this condition, causing the brain to have a lot of issues in proper functioning.
It is not surprising if we term a brain stroke a form of heart attack; it's merely a sort of heart attack, but it affects the brain. In the winter, the risk of having a brain stroke is higher. The arteries' abrupt constriction occurs due to the cold.
This condition is particularly common in patients with diabetes, high blood pressure, and the elderly. Because blood vessels narrow in the cold, the heart has trouble sustaining blood flow throughout the body, which raises blood pressure.
The risk of brain damage increases when blood flow is blocked due to artery constriction. The muscles stop performing because of a build-up of blood in the brain. This is referred to as a brain stroke.
A person who has suffered a brain stroke should get immediate emergency care as delay in treatment might be fatal.
Dr. Gurneet Singh Sawhney offers advanced and result-oriented brain stroke treatment in Mumbai. He is one of the finest neurosurgeons in India, who is adept in executing broad-spectrum surgical procedures to treat brain strokes.
Moreover, Dr. Gurneet Sawhney, one of the best neurosurgeon in Mumbai, India, has immense expertise in cutting-edge neurosurgical techniques. He collaborates with a diverse team of specialists to develop customized brain stroke treatment plans based on a thorough examination of all diagnostic data.
Being one of the top neurosurgeon in India, Dr. Sawhney has in-depth knowledge of brain functions. His ability to interpret lab data into clinical practice aids him in offering immediate and rapid access to the most up-to-date brain surgery in Mumbai to brain stroke patients.
Now, let's talk about the guidelines to follow if someone gets a brain stroke.
5 Things to Do In case of a Brain Stroke
Strokes come in a variety of forms. Treatment varies depending on the type of stroke, but if you suspect someone in your immediate vicinity has had a brain stroke, follow the guidelines given below:
1 . Notify the appropriate emergency services
If you suspect someone is having a stroke, contact the hospital immediately. In such situations, emergency assistance is required as soon as possible. Place the patient in a comfortable position until emergency help is available.
2. Breathing assistance
If the patient has a brain stroke, keep an eye on whether or not they are breathing. Loosen the patient's garments, unbutton the shirt, and loosen or remove the tie or scarf if they have trouble breathing.
3. Maintain body temperature
In the event of a brain stroke, make every effort to keep the patient as warm as possible. Cover the patient's body with a blanket and keep it covered from all sides in such a situation. Additionally, do not allow overcrowding in the vicinity of the patient. It can make the patient feel anxious.
4. Don’t give food or water
Avoid giving anything to eat or drink to the patient. Apart from that, watch the patient's movements and inform the doctor about the patient's symptoms after arriving at the hospital.
5. Keep calm
We often become anxious and frustrated when a family member becomes ill, but we should avoid acting in this manner in front of a brain stroke patient. Avoid showing a patient that they have had a severe attack. Due to this, the patient's brain may get feeble, and they may lose hope of living.
Now, let’s take a look at the,
Causes of Brain Stroke
A shortage of oxygen in the brain is the most common cause of brain stroke. Because oxygen and blood flow are interlinked, a brain stroke happens when there is an insufficient blood supply to the veins and the brain does not receive enough blood to function correctly.
Besides, as the body's oxygen and blood circulation decrease, all brain cells begin to die. As a result, the person's brain does not function properly, and there is a risk of a brain stroke.
Symptoms of Brain Stroke
It is critical to be aware of the signs of a brain stroke to avoid one or to warn others. If you are aware of the symptoms, you can easily save the patient's life.
- A brain stroke patient feels extremely weak. Even when sitting up, the patient feels dizzy.
- The patient will have a lot of difficulty walking. The illness can sometimes deteriorate to the point that the patient cannot move from one side of the bed to the other.
- Patients who have suffered a brain stroke speak in a disorderly manner. During the conversation, they have difficulty since their tongue begins to falter, and not a single word comes out clearly.
- The patient suffers from weakness, numbness, or paralysis in the face, arms, or legs on both sides of the body.
- Difficulty communicating or comprehending.
- Dizziness, loss of balance, or unexpectedly falling to the ground.
- Vision loss in one or both eyes and sudden impaired or reduced vision.
Brain Stroke Prevention
People at risk of having a stroke should monitor their blood pressure frequently. In a case like this,
- Avoid having too much cholesterol in your system.
- Consume as little salt as possible. Avoid fried food.
- Those with diabetes and heart disease should be extra cautious.
- Eat green vegetables more. At night, eat light foods.
- During this time, walnuts should be consumed. Turmeric should be consumed with milk if at all possible.
- After waking up in the morning, exercise for at least 30 minutes.
- Patients with heart disease or high blood pressure should avoid going out in the cold early in the morning or taking a cold bath.
Brain stroke is a condition that only a small percentage of the population is aware of. Their minds are filled with a slew of inquiries in such a situation. If you have any queries about brain stroke or its treatment options, contact us, we are here to help you.